Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.7 Headline Features (for PR)

On 4/22/16 9:25 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> On 22 Apr 2016, at 15:08, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) for HVM guests.
>>>
>>> hard affinity for credit2
>>>
>>> soft reset for pv guests
>>>
>>> kconfig for the hypervisor
>>
>> This is one which potentially has a big security impact and could be a
>> Headline Feature. Just to remind me, is KCONFIG a run-time or build-time
>> config mechanism. If the latter, distro users will not benefit from it.
>
> Kconfig is build-time.  Distros could use it in principle, and I think
> Gentoo will (that was part of Doug's motivation for doing it, IIUC).
> But yes, I suspect most distros will keep everything in by default.
> It's more a feature for embedded / security-conscious vendors.
>
>  -George

Not really important but I figured I'd be clear about my motivations.
For Gentoo I'll actually keep the stock settings. For Yocto I'll keep
the stock settings but expose a way to run kconfig (like the linux
kernel is in Yocto) for vendors with a security focus. I'm aware of a
handful of downstream vendors which will utilize that capability.

--
Doug Goldstein