Re: [Xen-devel] Prototype Code Review Dashboards (input required)

Daniel, Jesus,

I am going to break my comments down into different sections to make this more
consumable. Let's focus on the A1-A3 use-cases in this mail.

First I wanted to start of with some questions about definitions, as I am
seeing some discrepancies in some of the data shown and am trying to understand
exactly what the data means, and then have a look at the individual sections.

General, to the Xen-A1.A2.A3 dash board
- I played with some filters and noticed some oddities, e.g. if I filter on
"merged: 0" all views change as expected
- If I filter on "merged: 1", a lot of widgets show no data. Is this showing
that there is an issue with the data somewhere?
- I see similar issues with other filters, e.g. 'emailtype: "patch"'

> On 1 Mar 2016, at 13:53, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Case of Study A.1: Identify top reviewers (for both individuals and companies)
>
> Goal: Highlight review contributions - ability to use the data to "reward"
> review contributions and encourage more "review" contributions

The widgets in question are:
- Evolution 'Reviewed by-flag' (no patchseries, no patches)
- What is the difference to Evolution of patches
- Top People/Domains Reviewing patches

Q1: Are this the reviewed-by flags?
Q2: What is the scope? Do the number count
- the # files someone reviewed
- the # patches someone reviewed
- the # series someone reviewed

If a reviewer is solely defined by the reviewed-by tags, the data does not
provide a correct picture.
It may be better to use the following definition (although, others may disagree)
A reviewer is someone who did one of the following for a patch or series:
- Added a reviewed-by flag
- Added an acked-by flag (maintainers tend to use acked-by)
- Made a comment, but is NOT the author

Related to that use-case are also the following widgets
- Evolution of Comments Activity
- Top People/Domains Commenting (which also contain post-ACK comments and are
thus also related to A.3)
- Evolution of Email activity

Q3: Again, the scope isn't quite clear
Q4: The figures are higher than those in "People/Domains Reviewing patches".
Are comments on people's own patches included (these would be replies to the
comments of others)

> Possible places where this could be added : a separate table which is not
> time based, but can be filtered by time
> Possible metrics: number of review comments by person, number of
> patches/patch series a person is actively commenting on, number of ACKS and
> reviewed by tags submitted by person
>
> Actions: we could try to have a panel only focused on rewarding people and
> only based on information per domain and individual with some large table at
> the end with all of the reviews.

I don't have a strong view, but I think that there are too many tables and
graphs and that they could possibly be consolidated. For example

- The "Top People/Domains Reviewing Patches" views are a subset of the
imbalance tables. In particular exporting the data would be useful for me.
  - Personally, I don't mind just having the superset.
  - In particular, as the tables are sortable
  - And the only filters that can be added are sender and sender_domain

- Depending on the answer of Q2, the "Evolution 'Reviewed by-flag'..." and
"Evolution of patches..." could probably be shown as a combined bar graph
  - If they have the same scope, then a bar chart may be better
  - I will probably have some further thoughts about this, based on the answer.

> Case of Study A.2: Identify imbalances between reviewing and contribution
>
> Context: We suspect that we have some imbalances in the community, aka
> - some companies/individuals which primarily commit patches, but not review
> code
> - some companies/individuals which primarily comment on patches, but do not
> write code
> - some which do both

I think this works quite fine, and the data is consistent with A.1
The only comment I would have is that we should calculate the Balance by
Reviews - Patches posted

> Goal: Highlight imbalances
>
> Possible places where this could be added : a separate table which is not
> time based, but can be filtered by time or some histogram
> Possible metrics: number of patches/patch series a person/company is actively
> commenting on divided by number of patches/patch series a person/company is
> actively submitting
>
> Actions: build this dashboard with pre-processed information about the
> balances.

This seems to be quite good: the only observation is that authors (and domains)
are case sensitive and probably should be normalised
There also seem to be entries such as "Jan Beulich [mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxx]";

I also found lots of entries, with multiple e-mail addresses such as
- "andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx; Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx; wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx;
ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Dong, Eddie;
Nakajima, Jun; Tian, Kevin; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; keir@xxxxxxx"
- Most of these have (0,0,0) and can probably be removed, if that's possible

> Case of Study A.3: identify post ACK-commenting on patches
>
> Background: We suspect that post-ACK commenting on patches may be a key issue
> in our community. Post-ACK comments would be an indicator for something
> having gone wrong in the review process.

> Goal:
> - Identify people and companies which persistently comment post ACK
> - Potentially this could be very powerful, if we had a widget such as a pie
> chart which shows the proportion of patches/patch series with no post-ACK
> comments vs. with post-ACK comments

I think that
- Evolution of Comments Activity
- Top People/Domains Commenting (which also contain post-ACK comments and are
thus also related to A.3)
- Evolution of Email activity
- _emailtype views : not quite sure what the difference is

serves two purposes: it contributes to A.1, but also to A.3

Related to this seem to be
- Evolution of Flags
- Top People/Domain analysis
- Evolution of Patch series

Q5: What are All Flags? This seems awfully high: maybe signed off?
Something doesn't quite seem to add up, e.g. if I look at March 16th, I get
- Patch e-mails = 1851
- All flags = 1533
- Reviewed by = 117
- Acked by = 150
- Comments = 480
 All flags seems to be tracking Patch e-mails

Q6: Same question about the scope. The background is whether we can consolidate
some of these, and what we don't need.

> NOTE: Need to check the data. It seems there are many post-ACK comments in a
> 5 year view, but none in the last year. That seems wrong.

However it seems that the data for post-ACK comments may be wrong: in the last
year, there were 0 post-ACK comments. That is clearly wrong.

> - AND if that could be used to see how all the other data was different if
> one or the other were selected
> - In addition being able to get a table of people/companies which shows data
> by person/company such as: #of comments post-ACK, #of patches/series impacted
> by post-ACK comments and then being able to get to those series would be
> incredible

This seems to not be there yet. If there was a filter (manual or through some
widget) that would be good. But I guess we need to look at the data first.

> Case of Study A.0: with the people focused dashboard as it is
> NOTE: this view/use-case is not yet shown in the current dashboard: it very
> much focusses on the analysis in
> https://github.com/dicortazar/ipython-notebooks/blob/master/projects/xen-analysis/Code-Review-Metrics.ipynb
>
> Context: From 'Comments per Domain': select a compay with high patch to
> comment and selecct one with a high number. Then use other diagrams to check
> for any bad interactions between people. This seems to be powerful.
>
> Required Improvements:
> - filter by ACKs adding a company table that lists number of ACKs and time to
> ACK.
> - filter by average number of patch version revisions by person and/or
> company.
>
> More context: 'Selecting a time period for Patch Time to comment' and then
> repeating the above is very useful. Going to peaks of the time to merge
> helped to drill down to the cause of the issue.
>
> Actions: we could probably improve this panel with information about ACKs.

Given, that the Xen-A1.A2.A3 dash board is quite busy, we should keep that
separate.