Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Add vNVDIMM support for Xen

>>> On 15.02.16 at 09:43, <haozhong.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/03/16 03:15, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> >  Similarly to that in KVM/QEMU, enabling vNVDIMM in Xen is composed of
>> >  three parts:
>> >  (1) Guest clwb/clflushopt/pcommit enabling,
>> >  (2) Memory mapping, and
>> >  (3) Guest ACPI emulation.
>>

>> .. MCE? and vMCE?
>>

> NVDIMM can generate UCR errors like normal ram. Xen may handle them in a
> way similar to what mc_memerr_dhandler() does, with some differences in
> the data structure and the broken page offline parts:
>
> Broken NVDIMM pages should be marked as "offlined" so that Xen
> hypervisor can refuse further requests that map them to DomU.
>
> The real problem here is what data structure will be used to record
> information of NVDIMM pages. Because the size of NVDIMM is usually much
> larger than normal ram, using struct page_info for NVDIMM pages would
> occupy too much memory.

I don't see how your alternative below would be less memory
hungry: Since guests have at least partial control of their GFN
space, a malicious guest could punch holes into the contiguous
GFN range that you appear to be thinking about, thus causing
arbitrary splitting of the control structure.

Also - see how you all of the sudden came to think of using
struct page_info here (implying hypervisor control of these
NVDIMM ranges)?

> (4) When a MCE for host NVDIMM SPA range [start_mfn, end_mfn] happens,
>   (a) search xen_nvdimm_pages_list for affected nvdimm_pages structures,
>   (b) for each affected nvdimm_pages, if it belongs to a domain d and
>       its broken field is already set, the domain d will be shutdown to
>       prevent malicious guest accessing broken page (similarly to what
>       offline_page() does).
>   (c) for each affected nvdimm_pages, set its broken field to 1, and
>   (d) for each affected nvdimm_pages, inject to domain d a vMCE that
>       covers its GFN range if that nvdimm_pages belongs to domain d.

I don't see why you'd want to mark the entire range bad: All
that's known to be broken is a single page. Hence this would be
another source of splits of the proposed control structures.

Jan