Re: [Xen-devel] Two linkers - EFI one (mingw64) and normal GNU one [Fedora]

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Two linkers - EFI one (mingw64) and normal GNU
one [Fedora]"):
> Would it be OK if the configure.ac jammed an config.h in 'xen'
> directory? But then somehow the Config.mk has to read this and
> figure this out? Which is kind of hackish.

Until now, hypervisor developers have maintained that it should be
possible to build the hypervisor without running configure.

Your proposal is to have configure detect this problematic situation
and automatically make it work.  But that means that at least on
Fedora it will be necessary to run configure first.

So this proposal introduces new build system plumbing anomaly: there
would have to be an output from configure that is consumed by the xen
build - a thing which has been hitherto forbidden.

Personally I would be happy to relax the no-configure-for-hypervisor
rule entirely, or in this specific case.

But hypervisor developers may prefer something else.

If we do go down the route of having autoconf figure this out, it
should not be plumbed via config.h.  autoconf can already generate
makefile outputs.

Probably the answer would be a xen/config.autoconf.mk.in (or some such
filename) which is turned into xen/config.autoconf.mk by configure and
"-include"d from the Xen Makefile.