Re: [Xen-devel] HVMlite ABI specification DRAFT A

El 4/2/16 a les 21:17, Boris Ostrovsky ha escrit:
> On 02/04/2016 02:21 PM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

>> In general I was expecting this would be done by position, or if that's
>> not enough an additional module (at either position 0 or n) should be
>> passed to contain that information.
>
> Then we should specify it somehow --- e.g. that first module is always
> the ramdisk.

No, that's how Linux uses it, but it's not part of the spec at all. From
a Xen PoV, this 'modules' are just memory regions, it doesn't know
anything else about them, neither it needs to.

>>> +1
>>> We need that to pass parameters to gnumach modules.
>> Hm, parameters as in a string that's paired with a module, or something
>> more complex like a metadata block?
>>
>> I see that multiboot provides a string associated with each module, we
>> could do the same IMHO. I'm fine with adding it to the boot ABI, but I
>> would prefer if someone with access to such an OS does the actual
>> implementation of this feature.
>>
>> Just to be clear that we are on the same page, then the _entry struct
>> becomes:
>>
>> struct hvm_modlist_entry {
>>     uint32_t paddr;
>>     uint32_t size;
>>     uint32_t cmdline_paddr;
>> };
>>
>> cmdline_paddr would work the same way as it does in the hvm_start_info
>> struct (ie: physical address of a zero-terminated ASCII string).
>
> Doesn't this imply that strings should be part of this spec? Line "initrd"?

cmdline_paddr needs to be added to the spec, and I will do it in the
next revision (note that this will also require changes to the current
implementation). I'm not sure about your other part of the question,
making the concrete strings part of the implementation is completely out
of the spec, but I guess you mean something else which I don't get.

Roger.