Re: [Xen-devel] XSAVE flavors

>> > Yes.
>> > But current no machine only support xsavec not support xsaves.
>> > I enable xsavec for "xsavec is a feature".
>>
>> But this shouldn't preclude the code being in reasonable shape
>> also for the case where a CPU has XSAVEC but no XSAVES. The
>> more that right now we don't really need XSAVES (since we don't
>> yet allow any bit to get set in XSS).
>>
> Actually, when I enable xsaves/xsavec, I have put xsavec into
> consideration. If xsavec is used we also need to guarntee that xcomp_bv
> never has any bits clear which are set in xstate_bv and the compaction
> bit is set.
>
> Those guarntee and xsavec specific code in my patch is always behind "if(
> cpu_has_xsavec )"
> or " if ( cpu_has_xsaves || cpu_has_xsavec )".
> Please remind me if there is some other things I am not aware.

I'm not pointing out any correctness issue here, all I'm asking is
whether the current model is really the best one performance
wise.

>> > Yes. you are right. This is a issue. I will find a way to solve
>> > this.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> For xstate_comp_offsets is only used in get_xsave_addr when performing
> migration.
> I intend to recaculte xstate_comp_offsets based on the
> vcpu->arch.xsavec_area.save_hdr.xcomp_bv
> before get_xsave_addr is called.

I don't think that'll suffice, as it won't deal with the lazy XSAVE[SC]
possibly overwriting data written by the non-lazy one. See the
effectively three different values returned by vcpu_xsave_mask()
(the fourth one is impossible since the function won't ever get
called with both v->fpu_dirtied and v->arch.nonlazy_xstate_used
clear).

> The patch will be sent out after Chinese New Year holiday.

That's fine of course.

Jan