Re: [Xen-devel] Linux'es free_initmem() on Xen

>>> Um.  I'm not sure why you think something needs to be unmapped.  This is
>>> freeing the pages back to the page allocator -- thus the pages still
>>> need to be mapped.
>>
>> In the 1:1 mapping, yes. But the secondary mapping in the kernel
>> VA range is not needed anymore, and (unless accounted for) would
>> get in the way of said operations.
>
> The PMDs are shared between the two mappings. See
> xen_setup_kernel_pagetable().

I see. While a neat solution of keeping the two in sync, doesn't
this create a small(?) problem, in that it subverts
change_page_attr_set_clr()'s suppression of the 1:1 map
updating when e.g. a kernel or module va range gets just its NX
bit altered (in particular when the bit gets set)?

Jan