Re: [Xen-devel] Nested virtualization off VMware vSphere 6.0 with EL6 guests crashes on Xen 4.6

>>> On 02.02.16 at 23:05, <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is getting more and more bizzare.
>
> I realized that this machine has VMCS shadowing so Xen does not trap on
> any vmwrite or vmread. Unless I update the VMCS shadowing bitmap - which
> I did for vmwrite and vmread to get a better view of this. It never
> traps on VIRTUAL_APIC_PAGE_ADDR accesses. It does trap on:
> VIRTUAL_PROCESSOR_ID,
> VM_EXIT_MSR_LOAD_ADDR and GUEST_[ES,DS,FS,GS,TR]_SELECTORS.
>
> (It may also trap on IO_BITMAP_A,B but I didn't print that out).
>
> To confirm that the VMCS that will be given to the L2 guest is correct
> I added some printking of some states that ought to be pretty OK such
> as HOST_RIP or HOST_RSP - which are all 0!

But did you also check what the field of interest starts out as?

> If I let the nvmx_update_virtual_apic_address keep on going without
> modifying the VIRTUAL_APIC_PAGE_ADDR it later on crashes the nested
> guest:
>
> EN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 0

The missing characters at the beginning may just be a copy-and-
paste mistake, but they could also indicate a truncated log. Can
you clarify which of the two it is?

> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 0
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 0
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 0
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 2008
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 800
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 804
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 806
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 80a
> (XEN) nvmx_handle_vmwrite: 80e
> (XEN) nvmx_update_virtual_apic_address: vCPU1 0xffffffffffffffff(vAPIC)
> 0x0(APIC), 0x0(TPR) ctrl=b5b9effe sec=0

Assuming the field starts out as other than all ones, could you check
its value on each of the intercepted VMWRITEs, to at least narrow
when it changes.

Kevin, Jun - are there any cases where the hardware would alter
this field's value? Like during some guest side LAPIC manipulations?
(The same monitoring as suggested during VMWRITEs could of
course also be added to LAPIC accesses visible to the hypervisor,
but I guess there won't be too many of those.)

Jan