Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] EDAC infomation partially missing

Am 21.01.16 um 17:41 schrieb Jan Beulich:
>> Initially reported to debian
>> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=810964), redirected here:
>>
>> With AMD Opteron 6xxx processors, half of the memory controllers are
>> missing from /sys/devices/system/edac/mc
>> Checked with single 6120 (dual memory controller) and twin 6344 (2x dual
>> MC), other dual-module CPUs might be affected too.
>>
>> Booting plain Linux (3.2, 3.16, 4.1, 4.3), all memory controllers are
>> listed under /sys/devices/system/edac/mc as expected. Same happens, when
>> Xen 4.1 is used: all MCs present.
>>
>> Starting with Xen 4.4 (Debian Jessie), only mc1 (on the single CPU
>> machine) or mc2/mc3 (dual CPU machine) are present, although the full
>> system memory is accessible. Checked versions were 4.1.4 (Debian
>> Wheezy), 4.4.1 (Jessie) and 4.6.0 (Sid)
> As already indicated by Ian in that bug, you should supply us with
> full kernel and hypervisor logs for both the good and bad cases
> (ideally with the same kernel version use in both runs, so that we
> can exclude kernel behavior differences).
Here are some dmesg excerpts, all performed with Linux 4.1.3.

When booting with Xen 4.1.4:

AMD64 EDAC driver v3.4.0
EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.
EDAC amd64: F10h detected (node 0).
EDAC MC: DCT0 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC MC: DCT1 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F10h: DEV
0000:00:18.2 (INTERRUPT)
EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.
EDAC amd64: F10h detected (node 1).
EDAC MC: DCT0 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC MC: DCT1 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
EDAC MC1: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F10h: DEV
0000:00:19.2 (INTERRUPT)

When booting with Xen 4.4.1:

AMD64 EDAC driver v3.4.0
EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.
EDAC amd64: NB MCE bank disabled, set MSR 0x0000017b[4] on node 0 to enable.
EDAC amd64: ECC disabled in the BIOS or no ECC capability, module will
not load.
 Either enable ECC checking or force module loading by setting
'ecc_enable_override'.
 (Note that use of the override may cause unknown side effects.)
EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.
EDAC amd64: F10h detected (node 1).
EDAC MC: DCT0 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC MC: DCT1 chip selects:
EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  2048MB 3:  2048MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
EDAC MC1: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F10h: DEV
0000:00:19.2 (INTERRUPT)

Apparently Xen4.4 doesn't report the BIOS flag correctly. I added
ecc_enable_override=1 to amd64_edac_mod, and then I get

EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
AMD64 EDAC driver v3.4.0
EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.
EDAC amd64: NB MCE bank disabled, set MSR 0x0000017b[4] on node 0 to enable.
EDAC amd64: ECC disabled in the BIOS or no ECC capability, module will
not load.
EDAC amd64: Forcing ECC on!
[...]

This restored both MCs, so the BIOS flag seems to be the culprit.

Regards,
Andreas