Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PV PTE ABI (or lack thereof)

On 21/01/16 14:37, Andrew Cooper wrote:

>> I think we should document the PV ABI as-is. i.e., that these two PTE
>> bits are not available for PV guest use.
>
> This is already known to break some guests.  It shouldn't stay as it
> currently is.

It's unfortunate that the current ABI is incompatible with some guests
in some situations, but it can't be fixed without adding a mechanism for
the guest to query or negotiate PTE bit availability since existing
guests have to be able to run on older hypervisors.

David