Re: [Xen-devel] Which trees are supported (Was: Re: [qemu-upstream-4.2-testing test] 77180: regressions - FAIL)

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Which trees are supported (Was: Re:
[qemu-upstream-4.2-testing test] 77180: regressions - FAIL)"):
> Did we stop adding backports to staging-4.4 in September, i.e. is 4.4.4
> going to be fixes from August-September + security issues until the release
> date?

My usual approach with backports is to apply them back until either
(a) they don't apply or
(b) I reach the first tree which is out of security support.

In the case (a) I make a personal decision whether to either (i) spend
my own effort adapting the backport or (ii) tell someone (the
submitter, often) and give them the opportunity to supply a backport.

In both cases (a) and (b), the nominal support status of the old tree
is a factor, but not determinative.

I avoid making /any/ changes to trees which are out of security
support, to avoid giving them the appearance of being alive.