Re: [Xen-devel] xenbits GitHub mirror?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All,
>
> Now I'll start off by saying that "no" is a perfectly acceptable answer
> to this suggestion. Basically I remember at the Xen Developer Summit a
> few people mentioned it being nice if people provided a git tree where
> their branches were available for testing. I was just thinking it might
> be easier for third parties to do that if there was an official Xen
> Project mirror of the main repos on xenbits on GitHub and people could
> fork that repo and make their branch available. Just a thought.

So I don't think there would be any objection at all to individual
contributors sending links to git repos that happened to be hosted on
github in the cover letter of a patch series posted to xen-devel.

I also don't think there would be any objection to someone
*unofficially* maintaining a xenbits mirror on github, and advertising
its availability on the wiki, as long as it was clear that it was
unofficial.

I'll let someone who feels more strongly than I do comment on the
ideological perspective of having an official mirror; but from a
practical perspective, my concern would be dealing with people who
clone it and then send pull requests.  I'm pretty sure we will never
accept pull requests made via github, and as a policy we will
therefore never look at pull requests.  Having dozens of open,
un-answered pull requests on github will look bad for the project; and
manually going through and rejecting every pull request with an
explanation of why seems like a pain that I'd rather avoid if we can
help it.

 -George