Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v1 0/8] x86/init: Linux linker tables

On December 18, 2015 10:50:40 AM PST, "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:25:19PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> On 12/17/15 15:46, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> >
>> > I explain why I do that there but the gist of it is that on Linux
>we may also
>> > want stronger semantics for specific linker table solutions, and
>solutions such
>> > as those devised on the IOMMU init stuff do memmove() for sorting
>depending on
>> > semantics defined (in the simplest case here so far dependency
>between init
>> > sequences), this makes each set of sequences very subsystem
>specific. An issue
>> > with *one* subsystem could make things really bad for others. I
>thought about
>> > this quite a bit and figured its best left to the subsystem
>maintainers to
>> > decide.
>> >

>> A table that needs sorting or other runtime handling is just a
>> read-write table for the purpose of the linker table construct.  It
>> presents to C as an array of initialized data.
>
>Sure but what I was getting at was that since some run time changes to
>the
>table *might* be desirable, depending on the subsystem, the subsystem
>table needs
>to be able to know the start and end address of its table, and that's a
>linker script change. But come to think of it, that was me just being
>pedantic
>and careful, I'll try even a run time sort with a few tables of
>different
>structure size to ensure its both possible to just declare them in C
>and also
>sort them without a linker script change.
>
>> > Perhaps a new sections.h file (you tell me) which documents the
>different
>> > section components:
>> >
>> > /* document this *really* well */
>> > #define SECTION_RODATA             ".rodata"
>> > #define SECTION_INIT               ".init"
>> > #define SECTION_INIT_RODATA        ".init_rodata"
>> > #define SECTION_READ_MOSTLY        ".read_mostly"
>> >
>> > Then on tables.h we add the section components support:
>>
>> Yes, something like that.  How to macroize it cleanly is another
>matter;
>> we may want to use slightly different conventions that iPXE to match
>our
>> own codebase.
>
>Sure, the style below is from iPXE, the one in the patch set matches
>the
>Linux coding style. Other than that I'd welcome feedback on any issues
>or recommendations with style on our proposed version of tables.h
>Seems you provided some pointers below, so I'll go try to incorporate
>those suggestions.
>
>> > #define __table(component, type, name) (component, type, name)
>> >
>> > #define __table_component(table) __table_extract_component table
>
>> > #define __table_extract_component(component, type, name) component
>> >
>> > #define __table_type(table) __table_extract_type table

> [...]

No, start and end symbols are provided by having zero-length sections which
sort at the very beginning and very end.
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse brevity and formatting.