Re: [Xen-devel] fyi, Xen's EFI workarounds (/mapbs & efi=no-rs) on SuperMicro hardware; fixes solve 1/2 problems & SM responds that can't/won't fix their firmware

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 03:16:15PM -0800, PGNet Dev wrote:
> I run Xen 4.6 Dom0 on an Opensuse Leap 42.1 server.
>
> Hardware is a SuperMicro X10SAT motherboard
> (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SAT.cfm), with
> AMI v3 BIOS + "UEFI support"
>
> Two issues exist with the SuperMicro EFI
>
>       (1) firmware EFI mis-mapping causing Xen PANIC on restart

Can you try 'reboot=acpi' ?

>       (2) EFI variables not persistent across reboot
>
> SuperMicro's development/support has been made aware of both issues; Their
> response is that they won't/can't fix the problem.

Odd. I wonder how they work with Windows then? Hmm, could you try
the label instead of 'OpenSuse-Xen' be 'Windows Boot Manager'?

Or copy xen.efi to EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi?

> I do NOT know if the problems exist with other SM boards' EFI
> implementations.

Yes and no. The 1) is something I've found on Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p,
Lenovo X203 and T420. I had to use some work-arounds to make it reboot
(and in some cases even boot!)