[Xen-devel] Xen Unikernel: from zero to Hello World!

Hi all,

Thanks to Andrew Cooper's priceless help, I've managed to put
together a Xen PV kernel that does nothing except loop forever. I'm
going to try making it print "Hello, world!".

I was hoping someone could fact-check my research. What I've dug up
is:
* I need to load my unikernel with `xl -c` to get console output.
* My kernel currently refuses to load with the `-c` option. From
what I've read online, this is because I need to implement a console
device driver, similar to Mini-OS's xencons_ring.c.
* On Xen debug builds, I don't need a console device driver, I can
just do HYPERVISOR_console_io hypercalls.

What strategy would you use to debug this early in the development
process? Is there a debugger I should be using?

I'd appreciate any information and any links to information, even
when it's only tangentially relevant.

Thanks in advance,

Carl Patenaude Poulin
B Eng Software undergraduate at McGill University