Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu

Il 14/10/2015 11:47, Kevin Wolf ha scritto:
[ CC qemu-block ]

Am 13.10.2015 um 19:10 hat Stefano Stabellini geschrieben:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015, John Snow wrote:
On 10/13/2015 11:55 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
I added ahci disk support in libxl and using it for week seems that was
ok, after a reply of Stefano Stabellini seems that xen disk unplug
support only ide disks:
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commitdiff;h=679f4f8b178e7c66fbc2f39c905374ee8663d5d8

Today Paul Durrant told me that even if pv disk is ok also with ahci and
the emulated one is offline can be a risk:
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/win-pv-devel/2015-10/msg00021.html

I tried to take a fast look in qemu code but I not understand the needed
thing for add the xen disk unplug support also for ahci, can someone do
it or tell me useful information for do it please?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

I'm not entirely sure what features you need AHCI to support in order
for Xen to be happy.

I'd guess hotplugging, but where I get confused is that IDE disks don't
support hotplugging either, so I guess I'm not sure sure what you need.

Stefano, can you help bridge my Xen knowledge gap?
Hi John,

we need something like hw/i386/xen/xen_platform.c:unplug_disks but that
can unplug AHCI disk. And by unplug, I mean "make disappear" like
pci_piix3_xen_ide_unplug does for ide.
Maybe this would be the right time to stop the craziness with your
hybrid IDE/xendisk setup. It's a horrible thing that would never happen
on real hardware.

Can't you just teach SeaBIOS how to deal with your PV disks and then
only add that to your VM and forget about IDE/AHCI? I mean, that's how
it's done for virtio-blk, and it doesn't involve any insanities like
ripping out non-hotpluggable devices.

Hm... How does a reboot of a machine that had its IDE already removed
actually work? Do you restart the qemu process on reboot?

Kevin
I thinkthat would be a good idea, unfortunately I'm not able to do that and I do not know if the developers of xen would agree to such modification.

If will be done, for example having new disk type "xenpv" require the pv drivers installed, with linux having drivers included should not be a problem but on windows yes FWIK. Like virtio driver should be installed before (or adding them in windows install), I don't know if will be ok specifying them in install for with xen driver, another possibility can be start domU with ide disk type, install the xen pv drivers and reboot selecting xenpv disk type instead. Doing it FWIK require not only xen and qemu changes but also pv drivers change, I added on cc also Paul Durrant for see what think about. With actual unplug based on my tests in some years I had many problem with windows domUs (with both old and new pv drivers) resulting in "windows boot blue screen error", I suppose that changing/improving unplug method can decrease them, is it correct?

About reboot xen do different from kvm recreating full domU each time (and new qemu process), I don't know if is possible and good change the method.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.