[Xen-devel] RFC: Survey on release cycle

Hi all

We've had two separate discussions about release cycles, one for
normal release [0], the other for changes in stable release
maintenance and possible long term supported releases [1]. There were
overwhelming support for having a shorter release cycle from
xen-unstable but we couldn't reach consensus on how to manage stable
releases.

The details on the current 9 months release cycle and proposed 6
months release cycle can be found in [0], while the current scheme for
stable releases can be found in [2]. A plethora of arguments can be
found in both [0] and [1], but in the end most if not all of them boil
down to empirical arguments / expectations or just merely different
opinions on the same fact so there wasn't really concrete outcome of
that two threads.

With the release of 4.6, it's important that we have agreement so that
we can get on with planning next release.

There are several general options on how to proceed that I summarise
from previous discussions. Note that because there are too many moving
parts I pick some of my preferences as a starting point for the
discussion. I also omit the combination of 9 months release cycle +
LTS scheme because it doesn't look attractive in the first place.

Please express your preference with -2 (strongly argue against), -1
(not happy but not against), +1 (happy but won't argue for) and +2
(happy and argue for).

# 6 months release cycle + current stable release scheme

The same stable release scheme applies (18 months full support + 18
months security fixes). Encourage more people to step up to share the
maintenance burden if necessary. Automate part of the workflow to
maintain stable releases. Write down guideline for maintainers.

# 6 months release cycle + LTS scheme

Pick LTS release every 4 releases. Announce LTS before hand. Non-LTS
releases receive shorter support. Encourage more people to step up to
share the maintenance burden if necessary. Automate part of the
workflow to maintain stable releases and LTS releases. Write down
guideline for maintainers.

The length of support hasn't been discussed thoroughly -- but to make
LTS scheme stand out the length of support would be longer than what
we have now (18 + 18).

# 9 months release cycle + current stable release scheme

Don't change anything.

Wei.

[0] <20151002174356.GA3577@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[1] <20151006110758.GV29124@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>