Re: [Xen-devel] how to trace scheduling overheads using xentrace/xenalyze

On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 20:46 -0700, Yu-An(Victor) Chen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I am new to xen environment

Welcome :-)

> and I am wondering how to trace scheduling overhead of guest vm using
> xentrace/xenalyze ?

Have you had a look at this blog entry? It's from some time ago, but
the basic concepts should still hold.

 https://blog.xenproject.org/2012/09/27/tracing-with-xentrace-and-xenal
yze/

Of course, that tells how to use the tools (xentrace and xenalyze), not
how to "trace scheduling overhead". For doing so, I think you should
first define what it is really that you want to measure (many
definitions of scheduling overhead are possible) and, only after that,
check whether it is possible to do that with existing tools.

> I have tried using $xentrace -D -e all -S 256 {filename}
>
> and then use various xenalyze options but most of them gave me empty
> result, and I dont really see where I can get scheduling overhead so

Mmm... The command above works for me (just tried). However, '-e all'
is a lot of data, and it may actually take a bit to xenalyze to parse
it.

Maybe, if you are interested in tracing scheduling related events, use
the appropriate event mask?

> I can see how are the jobs are scheduled and its execution time and
> stuff. Please point me to a direction. Thank you!

Again, you should detail more what you think 'scheduling overhead' is.
If you are interested in seeing how and where the vcpus are scheduled,
you want a dump.

With this:

 xentrace -D -e 0x0002f000 trace.bin

and then this: