Re: [Xen-devel] PV random device

On 10/05/2015 10:18 PM, Andy Smith wrote:

> But again as I say, that article I posted earlier contains a bunch
> of smart crypto people saying that all of this is unnecessary. So
> should we be enabling it?

Even if only urandom is considered necessary, how is the initial seed for
urandom being generated and securely provided (if externally generated) to
the guest?

ubuntu has a client/server "entropy as a service" pollen
https://github.com/dustinkirkland/pollen and pollinate
https://github.com/dustinkirkland/pollinate which writes to /dev/urandom at
boot. To my best knowledge a total of zero non-ubuntu derived
distributions have adopted it, though I can't comment on why.

MirageOS has come up with https://github.com/mirage/xentropyd and
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-entropy which appears to be a layer on top of
channels
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=docs/misc/channel.txt I don't
know if this is the preferred implementation method. I also
haven't found a front-end implementation other than in MirageOS.