Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: change to 6 months release cycle

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:55:00PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 13:51 +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:
> > >
> > > I think switching to an LTS style model, i.e. only supporting 1/N for
> > > longer than it takes to release the next major version might be
> > > interesting
> > > to consider. I'm thinking e.g. of N=4 with a 6 month cycle.
> > >
> > > I think some of our downstreams (i.e. distros) would like this, since
> > > it
> > > gives them releases which are supported for a length of time more like
> > > their own release cycles.
> >
> > And again there will be a rush to get a feature in at the end of each
> > Nth cycle, as it will end up in the long-term stable version...
>
> I actually think there is plenty of stuff which people just want in _some_
> release.

I concur. Having a feature in some release, albeit not the stable one,
helps. For example, downstream developer will have a strong
justification for backporting stuff.

As for "rush to get a feature at the end of each Nth cycle", it wouldn't
put us in a worse situation than we already have because N==1 nowadays.

Wei.