Re: [Xen-devel] Xen / EC2 network HVM device visibility

On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 15:25 +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:

This is not a question about the development of the Xen hypervisor.
Therefore I've moved xen-devel to bcc and added xen-users to the cc. Please
try and use the correct list in the future.

> As far as I can tell, Xen HVM domu guests detect and use the RTL8139
> network card thus its not a hard requirement to use the PVHVM drivers.

Correct. Strictly speaking you can also configure other emulated nics (e.g.
e1000) rtl8139 is just the default. You can also configure just a PV NIC
without any emulated NIC at all.

> On EC2 however, am I right in understanding that although EC2 is using
> Xen HVM, the RTL8139 network device is not available and therefore to get
> networking it is a requirement for PVHVM drivers?

It's not clear from some web searches and it may not even be the same for
all HVM instance types.

The easiest way to tell would be to create whichever sort of instance you
are interested in and look at the logs + lspci etc.