Re: [Xen-devel] Xenheap placement in a NUMA system

On 28 Sep 2015, at 15:29, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In case it’s all stored in the boot node, and dom0’s memory is also
>> contained entirely in the same node, is it correct to say that a failure in
>> another node would just require to shut down the VMs that are running in
>> that node but the rest of the system is still able to run?
>
> What do you mean by "failure" here?  A full DIMM failure would almost
> certainly be completely fatal to Xen, while an individual cell failure
> does have logic for being propagated to the owning domain, in the hope
> that it can take some corrective action.
>
> ~Andrew

Yes, I mean losing  a whole DIMM on a node. I was wondering if it’s possible,
assuming the xenheap and dom0 are confined to the boot node, to implement some
sort of live migration within nodes of a NUMA host.
At a first glance I thought it was enough to periodically checkpoint all VMs
and possibly do some cleanup after a node is detected dead to avoid using it
again but I’m surely oversimplifying the problem.

Best regards,
Mario