Re: [Xen-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

Well, FatPkg is only superficially permissive and not even open source, so
there is a precedent. (A precedent that, I might add, happens to violate
SourceForge's the off service).

When we import edk2 into Fedora we just remove FatBinPkg. We would think twice
before contributing to it, but do not make any kind of fuss about it.

GPL is just the same. For example, it would be possible to have an
automatically-updated git repo that omits the GPL directory; and development
would then be easier for people whose legal departments tend not to influence
the engineers' productivity.

In fact:

1) it is not like, among non-Intel contributors, proprietary software companies
have the lion's share of edk2 commits, and they probably use Tiano releases.
Intel could strip any GPL pieces as part of the Tiano release process.

2) the GPL is working just fine for Linux, which is not that different from
UEFI. So, picture me skeptical. If anything, what Linux can teach edk2 is that
a closed prices and balkanized trees are a direct cause of the abysmal security
of those implementations.

Paolo