Re: [Xen-devel] On distro packaging of stub domains (Re: Notes from Xen BoF at Debconf15)

Ian,

Thank you for the explanations.

Hmm.  (not replying to anything specific)

My guess is that shared libs won't be the biggest problem. I'd find it extremely surprising if you can take a Linux (or any other !NetBSD) packaging system and discover the dozens of dependencies of QEMU to not contain any "'isms" which do not apply when building for what is essentially a NetBSD target.

I don't know how Wei Liu built his QEMU, but I assume it was by farming a lot of --disable-stuff. That's what I'd do and somehow find a way to ship the result. The requirements for stubdom QEMU and /usr/bin/qemu are IMO too dissimilar to stuffed into the same box. By my judgement (which may be wrong), almost none of the dynamic dependencies of QEMU on a regular Linux system apply for the Xen stub domain use. If the goal is to get a reduced footprint qemu, bundling unnecessary clutter is in direct conflict with the goal. Besides, trying to get e.g. libsystemd to build or work with [a NetBSD-API'd] Rumprun will most likely earn you a ticket to the loony bin.

So while I think I understand your predicament (you need to sell the Xen improvement to distros which means playing by their rules) and the temptation of reusing existing packages for the job, I seriously doubt the approach will lead to a sensible result. That, of course, shouldn't stop you from trying. If the result of your experimentation matches your hypothesis and shared libs is the main problem, I'll figure out a way to make it work on the Rumprun side of things.

If you truly decide you need to use existing Linux infra, I'd start down that track by bolting a Linux userspace environment on top of the "kernel only" Rumprun stack (which could/should more or less work thanks to syscall emulation). Of course, you'd need to do the same for FreeBSD and every other system you want to support, so it's not a free ticket either, but by my guess at least a cheaper one.

Anyway, I only have guesses.

  - antti