Re: [Xen-devel] Asus X99-A VT-d problems

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 08:45:20PM +0300, Valtteri Kiviniemi wrote:
>    Hi,

Hi,

>    I'm using a Asus X99-A motherboard with latest bios which in paper (and in
>    BIOS) supports VT-d. However, with Xen 4.5.1 and Xen unstable the VT-d
>    fails completely on SATA AHCI with "failed to IDENTIFY".
>
>    I also tried to disable the SATA controller completely from BIOS and try
>    to boot from USB stick (to debug further). However, also the USB-ports
>    fail when using VT-d with error message "Fatal error, HC died" and then
>    the kernel panics.
>
>    I googled around and tried the pci-phantom boot parameter for both the
>    SATA and USB controllers and also the iommu=workaround_bios_bug but with
>    no success.
>
>    The SATA controller that my system is using is:
>
>    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg 6-Port SATA
>    Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
>
>    And the USB controllers:
>
>    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg USB xHCI Host
>    Controller (rev 05)
>    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg USB Enhanced Host
>    Controller #1 (rev 05)
>    07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host
>    Controller
>
>    And lastly: I installed ESXI 6.0 and it installed successfully with VT-d
>    enabled. So I suspect that this might be a combination of BIOS/Xen bug
>    that VMware has been able to solve (or then they do something
>    differently).
>
>    I'm happy to help to debug this further if needed, but so far I'm not able
>    to boot the system at all without iommu=0 boot parameter.

It'd be helpful if you could use a serial console (PCI serial card perhaps? Or
if your motherboard has a built-in IPMI/BMC/AMT management processor with
Serial-Over-LAN port that works aswell..) and capture a logfile from the full
Xen + Linux boot.. with all the verbose/debugging options enabled.

>    Best regards,
>    Valtteri Kiviniemi

-- Pasi