[Xen-devel] What is the difference between XenAPI and XenAPI-Extensions

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "D'Mita Levy" <dlevy022@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 14:49:36 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:49:52 +0000

Hello,

I am a student at FIU working on a school project so I am a not very experienced. Right now I am trying to use the Xen API code I found atÂhttps://github.com/xenserver/xenadmin to Snapshot a VM. The project I have so far uses the XenAPI.VM functions and I have been successful in starting and stopping a VM. As an example I perform those actions like this:

  ÂXenRef<VM> vmRef = VM.get_by_uuid(_session, vmUUID);
  ÂVM.start(_session, vmRef.opaque_ref, false, true);

My mentors would like me to try and clone a VM. I have copied the Run() function from VMSnapshotCreateAction.cs and I tried to make a snapshot with the following code:

 ÂXenRef<VM> vmRef = VM.get_by_uuid(_session, GetUUIDByName(vmName));
 ÂSnapshotType m_Type = SnapshotType.DISK; //hardcoded snapshot type
 Âstring snapshot_name = "Testing_Snapshot";

 ÂXenAPI.VM.async_snapshot(_session, vmRef.opaque_ref, snapshot_name);

I have two VM's. A Windows XP SP3 VM (No actual OS installed, just the base VM) and an Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr VM (installed OS and running). The Windows XP SP3 Snapshot gets created successfully but the Ubuntu snapshot does not.

Upon furthure inspection I notice that XenAPI.VM works for start/stop but XenAPI-Extensions.VM is needed to make snapshots - based on VMSnapshotCreateAction.csÂ

Why is it that I need XenAPI-Extensions.VM to createa Âvm reference to make snapshots and cannot use XenAPI.VM? What is the difference between XenAPI and Extensions? Finally, is it possible just to pull out the code so that I can have the core functionality; it seems adding it to my simple WPF project requires a ton of dependencies and references....

Thanks,
D'Mita