[Xen-devel] [xen 4.6 retrospective] [bad] Code style checking takes up too much time

Another one from the developer meeting

= Issue / Observation =
Code style checking takes up too much time. This affects both reviewers who
spend a significant amount commenting on style issues and also makes it harder
to for contributors to focus on non-style issues. What I mean by the latter is
that the volume of comments that need to be tracked by contributors, makes it
harder for them.

= Possible Solution / Improvement =
Automate code-style checks through a tool, that could be run as a pre-patch
review tool. Once we have that, update contribution docs.

As far as I recall, Andy Cooper believes that dealing with the 2 different
coding styles should not be a huge issue. A good tool could differentiate by
directory / file.

What may be a bigger issue, is that older code may not fully adhere to coding
standards. The open question is then
* Whether such a tool should only run on the diff/patch
* If not, how we deal with check failures in areas of a file that have not been
touched by the contributor