Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 4

Hi Roger,

On 2015/8/19 23:02, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> El 19/08/15 a les 14.13, Shannon Zhao ha escrit:
>> 4. Map MMIO regions
>> -------------------
>> Register a bus_notifier for platform and amba bus in Linux. Add a new
>
> Can we make this OS agnostic? Could you explain what you mean with the
> above sentence without using Linux kernel internals?

Ok, will change it.

>> XENMAPSPACE "XENMAPSPACE_dev_mmio". The usage of this hypercall
>> parameters:
>> - domid: DOMID_SELF.
>> - space: XENMAPSPACE_dev_mmio.
>> - gpfns: guest physical addresses where the mapping should appear.
>
> This is not complete, you have forgotten to add the idxs field,

Sorry, I didn't use the idx for the mmio region mapping. What's the idx
useful for here?

> and I
> don't think the domid field needs an explanation TBH.
>

>> Within the register, check if the device is newly added, then call
>> hypercall XENMEM_add_to_physmap to map the mmio regions.
>>
>> For PCI bus device, it could reuse the existing PCI bus_notifier like
>> X86.
>
> What is a PCI bus_notifier? I don't see any mention of bus_notifier in
> Xen code.

I thought You konw what I mean here. If not, what should I do! Yeah, as
you said, I will change the description.

But I want to say that the purpose of this document is to explain some
important implementation details for ACPI support on ARM, which have
some divergence before. I don't hope this doc to be official but I do
hope this lets us reach an agreement on the approach before respinning
the patches. If we focus on the words or description or even
word-splitting, it doesn't help to make this move on!

--
Shannon