Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Support of non-indirect grant backend on 64KB guest

On 19/08/2015 01:58, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 18.08.15 at 20:45, <julien.grall@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Roger,

On 18/08/2015 00:09, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:
Hello,

El 18/08/15 a les 8.29, Julien Grall ha escrit:
Hi,

Firstly, this patch is not ready at all and mostly here for collecting
comment about the way to do it. It's not clean so no need to complain about
the coding style.

The qdisk backend in QEMU is not supporting indirect grant, this is means
that a request can only support 11 * 4KB = 44KB.

When using 64KB page, a Linux block request (struct *request) may contain up
to 64KB of data. This is because the block segment size must at least be the
size of a Linux page.

So when indirect is not supported by the backend, we are not able to fitall
the data in a single request. We therefore need to create a second request to
copy the rest of the data.

I've wrote a patch last week which make 64KB guest booting with qdisk.
Although, I'm not sure this is the right way to do it. I would appreciate
ifone of the block maintainers give me insight about it.

Maybe I'm missing some key data, but I see two ways to solve this, the
first one is the one you describe above, and consists in allowing
blkfront to split a request into multiple ring slots. The other solution
would be to add indirect descriptors support to Qdisk, has this been
looked into?

AFAICT it looks more interesting, and x86 can also benefit from it.
Since I would like to prevent adding more cruft to blkfront, I rather
prefer 64KB guests to require indirect descriptors in order to run.

Actually supporting indirect in Qdisk was one of our idea. While I agree
this is a good improvement in general we put aside this idea for various
reasons.

The first one is openStack is using by default Qdisk backend, so Linux
64KB guest wouldn't be able to boot on current version of Xen. This is
the only blocker in order use 64KB guests, everything else is working.
Having the indirect grant support in QEMU for Xen 4.6 is not realistic,
there is only a month left and we are already in feature.

That would mean that any new distribution using Linux 64KB would not
work out-of-box on Xen.

Furthermore, not supporting non-indirect grant in the frontend means
that any userspace backend won't be supported for Linux 64KB guests.

Overall, I think we have to support non-indirect with Linux 64KB guests.
Many (but not all) distribution will only support 64KB pages, so we
can't wait until Xen 4.7 to get something running. Not that I rule out
the requirement for the user to upgrade the QEMU version in order to run
64KB guests.

To be honest, none of this really reads like a good reason for not
following Roger's suggestion. All it points out that there is a new
feature that's not fully cooked yet. Distros wanting to support such
guests should be willing to either backport the necessary qemu
patch(es) or update qemu. Uglifying blkfront (via other than an
experimental, out of tree patch) doesn't look like a good idea to me.

With your suggested approach, modifiying QEMU, you would have to push a patch in DOM0 distributions (which may be different as the guests) in order to boot a such guests. On the other hand, patching Linux, will make a guest booting out-of-box without having the cloud provider using aarch64 platform fixing their DOM0 in order to boot a such a guest.

And then, if blkfront was to be made capable, it would seem to me
that the better route would be to have it use its native page size for
the blkif instantiation, and extend the blkif protocol so the frontend
can communicate its page size to the backend. The current
backend-page-size == frontend-page-size restriction would then
become <= (or maybe could even go away altogether).

And then we could also improve memory performance right now rather than having a first version upstream... if we take this approach, it will take another year to upstream the 64KB guest support in Linux. Having a fully working, high-performing 64KB guest support is huge and we can't do everything at one time.

Having 64KB grant is my next plan but it requires changes in both Linux and Xen. Although, this can't be done in a short timeline and we need to have a first approach done today.

Major distributions will be shipped with 64KB page supports only (including the one from your company Suse), they are targeting Linux 4.2/4.3 and are willing to take patches in their kernel.

Now, if we decide to not support non-indirect grant for 64KB guests, we also have to reach distributions using 4KB pages in order to update their QEMU.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall