Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 3

On 14/08/15 15:59, Shannon Zhao wrote:
> 2. Create minimal DT to pass required information to Dom0
> The minimal DT mainly passes Dom0 bootargs, address and size of initrd
> (if available), address and size of uefi system table, address and size
> of uefi memory table, uefi-mmap-desc-size and uefi-mmap-desc-ver.
>
> An example of the minimal DT:
> / {
>     #address-cells = <2>;
>     #size-cells = <1>;
>     chosen {
>         bootargs = "kernel=Image console=hvc0 earlycon=pl011,0x1c090000
> root=/dev/vda2 rw rootfstype=ext4 init=/bin/sh acpi=force";
>         linux,initrd-start = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,initrd-end = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,uefi-system-table = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,uefi-mmap-start = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,uefi-mmap-size = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,uefi-mmap-desc-size = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>         linux,uefi-mmap-desc-ver = <0xXXXXXXXX>;
>     };
> };
>
> For details loook at
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/arm/uefi.txt

I would have expect a summary on the discussion we had on the previous
thread [1].

Note that "linux,initrd-*" are well defined given that Xen, U-boot and
other bootloaders are using them. And IIRC, it's Linux specific.

Although, "linux,uefi-*" are not well defined (only used internally by
Linux betwen the EFI stub and the kernel) and we expect other OS to use
them in the future.

So I would prefer to the "linux," dropped for them.

> 3. Dom0 gets grant table and event channel irq information
> Make Linux call xlated_setup_gnttab_pages() to setup grant table. So it
> doesn't need Xen pass grant table start and size information to Dom0.

The design doc should be in general OS agnostic. I would say here:

The OS will have to find a place himself in the memory map for the grant
table region.

For instance, Linux can make usage of xlated_setup_gnttab_pages.

> To event channel interrupt, reuse HVM_PARAM_CALLBACK_IRQ and add a new
> delivery type to get it.
> val[63:56] == 3: val[15:8] is flag: val[7:0] is a PPI (ARM and ARM64
> only)
> The definition of flag reusing the definition of xenv table. Bit 0
> stands interrupt mode and bit 1 stands interrupt polarity.

Either give a link to the XENV table or explain what means the value in
each bit (i.e what 0 and 1 stands for?).

I would prefer the later.

> As said above, we assign the hypervisor_id be "XenVMM" to tell Dom0 that
> it runs on Xen hypervisor. Then Dom0 could get it through hypercall
> HVMOP_get_param.

Regards,

[1] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01074.html

--