Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 3/4] HVM x86 deprivileged mode: Code for switching into/out of deprivileged mode

On 11/08/15 19:29, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
>>> IIRC: AMD processors don't context switch TR on vmexit,
>> Correct
>>
>>> which makes using IST handlers tricky there.
>> (That is one way of putting it)
>>
>> IST handlers cannot be used by Xen if Xen does not switch the task
>> register before stgi, or IST exceptions (NMI, MCE and double fault) will
>> be taken with guest-supplied stack pointers.
>>
>>> We'd have to do the TR context switch ourselves, and that would be
>>> expensive.
>> It is suspected to be expensive, but I have never actually seen any
>> numbers one way or another.
>>
>>> Andrew, am I remembering that right?
>> Looks about right.
>>
>> I have been meaning to investigate this for a while, but never had
>> the time.
>>
>> Xen opts for disabling interrupt stack tables in the context of AMD HVM
>> vcpus, which interacts catastrophically with debug builds using
>> MEMORY_GUARD.  MEMORY_GUARD shoots a page out of the primary stack to
>> detect stack overflows, but without an IST double fault hander, ends in
>> a triple fault rather than a host crash detailing the stack overflow.
>>
>> KVM unilaterally reloads the host task register on vmexit, and I suspect
>> this is probably the way to go, but have not had time to investigate
>> whether there is any performance impact from doing so.  Given how little
>> of a TSS is actually used in long mode, I wouldn't expect an `ltr` to be
>> as expensive as it might have been in legacy modes.
>>
>> (CC'ing the AMD SVM maintainers to see if they have any information on
>> this subject)
>>

> I actually didn't even realize that TR is not saved on vmexit ;-/.
>
> Would switching TR only when we know that we need to enter this
> deprivileged mode help?

This is an absolute must.  It is not safe to use syscall/sysexit without
IST in place for NMIs and MCEs.

> Assuming that it is less expensive than copying the stack.

I was referring to the stack overflow issue, and whether it might be
sensible to pro-actively which TR.

~Andrew