Re: [Xen-devel] [xen 4.6 retrospective] [urgent] rename "freeze" window and make release branch as soon as possible after RC1

>>> On 06.08.15 at 12:52, <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would even go as far as recommending maintainers to take patches in
> their personal trees while xen-unstable is "frozen". Personally I
> already do that for QEMU.

For small patches that might work. For large series perhaps repeatedly
needing non-trivial re-basing I don't see me as a maintainer do that
work over perhaps an extended period of time on behalf of contributors.

> In fact I think that if a tree was always open to check stuff in (it
> doesn't matter if the tree is xen-unstable, the maintainer's own git
> tree, or a temporary branch somewhere), everybody would be much more
> relaxed about releases and code freezes.

Still I agree that such a model would be the easier one for submitters.
What I'm not convinced is that making their lives easier is the higher
priority.

Jan