Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 2

On 08/11/2015 10:21 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2015-08-11 at 15:19 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 10:11 +0800, Shannon Zhao wrote:
This document is going to explain the design details of Xen booting
with
ACPI on ARM. Maybe parts of it may not be appropriate. Any comments are
welcome.
Some small subsets of this seem like they might overlap with what will be
required for PVH on x86 (a new x86 guest mode not dissimilar to the sole
ARM guest mode). If so then it would be preferable IMHO if PVH x86 could
use the same interfaces.

I've trimmed the quotes to just those bits and CCd some of the PVH people
(Boris and Roger[0]) in case they have any thoughts.

Actually, having done the trimming there is only one such bit:

[...]
4. Map MMIO regions
-------------------
Register a bus_notifier for platform and amba bus in Linux.
Previously PCI was included in this scheme, which is why I thought of PVH,
having missed that PCI wasn't mentioned here now.

Is it handled some other way now or is that just an accidental omission?

PCI already has a bus notifier which is probably why it's not explicitly called out here.

-borsi

  Add a new
XENMAPSPACE "XENMAPSPACE_dev_mmio". Within the register, check if the
device is newly added, then call hypercall XENMEM_add_to_physmap to map
the mmio regions.
Ian.

[0] Roger is away for a week or so, but I'm expect feedback to be of the
"we could use one extra field" type rather than "this needs to be done
some
totally different way for x86/PVH" (in which case we wouldn't want to
share
the interface anyway I suppose) so need to block on awaiting that
feedback.