Re: [Xen-devel] [xen 4.6 retrospective] [urgent] rename "freeze" window and make release branch as soon as possible after RC1

El 05/08/15 a les 11.22, Lars Kurth ha escrit:
> This is one item of feedback, which I believe is a quick win for us. This is
> one piece of feedback from a list of items that have during the last few
> weeks been raised with me personally, either during face-2-face conversations
> in a private e-mail thread. See
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00173.html
> <http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00173.html>
> for information on the retrospective
>

> = Issue / Observation =
> The name "freeze" window/period - aka the time period from when we "feature
> freeze" until we branch master and/or make the release leads some
> contributors to mistakenly assume that development for the next release
> stops. I saw a few mails on xen-devel@ recently, pointing out to contributors
> that development does not stop during "freeze".  Chatting to Ian Campbell, he
> mentioned that he replied to several different people who said they were
> waiting for the tree to reopen. Maybe choosing a better name will help.
>
> In addition, we used to branch master a lot earlier I believe up to Xen 4.1
> (around RC2 or RC3). At some point we started branching master when we
> release. I do not know why we changed, but it seems we did not have any
> issues branching master around RC2 or RC3. Branching earlier, would mean that
> contributors do not have to carry patches for as long as they do now, and the
> risk of having to rebase patches several times is lower.
>
> = Possible Solution / Improvement =
> Change Terminology:
> * Keep "Feature Freeze" as is

+1

> * Rename "Freeze Window/Period" to "Stabilisation Window/Period" or something
> similar

-1. IMHO all projects I work with use the "freeze" terminology, changing
it to something else is just going to confuse people.

> * Make clear that "Stabilisation Window/Period" != no development in the
> "Development Update x.y mail template"

+1

Roger.