Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU bumping memory bug analysis

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, George Dunlap wrote:
> I think that qemu needs to tell libxl how much memory it is using for
> all of its needs -- including option ROMs.  (See my example below.)  For
> older qemus we can just make some assumptions like we always have.

I'll just note that I have still not seen any evidence that telling
libxl would improve things. It seems to me that we are just adding one
more layer of indirection just to solve the migration issue elsewhere.
I haven't seen convincing examples that things would be better by telling
libxl yet, except that we would be able to fix the migration problem.

I don't think that the current solution is inherently racy. If we are
really interested in an honest evaluation of the current solution in
terms of races, I would be happy to do so. When I committed it, I didn't
do it without thinking. I don't think that libxl should be in the middle
of this, because I don't think it has anything to add.

That said, as I am not reading any new arguments and it doesn't look
like the thread is going in the right direction from my POV, I don't
think there is any need to repeat myself again, so I'll step away from
this thread and let you decide what you think is the best way forward.

Of course I'll evaluate any QEMU patches on their merits as always.