Re: [Xen-devel] Earlier embargoed pre-disclosure without patches

On 05/26/2015 07:15 AM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

>> > I'm good with that as well.  I think we're saying:
>> >
>> >   if embargo_length < 14d:
>> >     # XSA-133 situation
>> >     send_pre_disclosure_draft()
>> >     wait_for_patches()
>> >   elif embargo_length >= 14d and not patches_ready:
>> >     wait_for_patches()
>> >   else:
>> >     send_pre_disclosure_full()
>> >
>> > Forgive my awful pseudo code. My coffee buffer is not yet full. ;)
> It makes sense to me. I can see the value for an organization with
> thousands of servers to know about it in advance, regardless of the
> patches, so that it can schedule the update work appropriately.

Thanks for the help, folks.  I've tossed a proposed security policy change into
a Github gist[1].

My proposal is to add this paragraph to the "Embargo and disclosure schedule"
section of the Xen Security Policy[2]:

    In the event that a two week embargo cannot be guaranteed,
    we will send a draft with information about the vulnerability
    to the pre-disclosure list as soon as possible, even if
    patches have not yet been written or tested.  An updated
    draft will be sent to the pre-disclosure list once patches
    become available.

I welcome any and all feedback.  Thanks!

[1] https://gist.github.com/major/1a4f7ba7787b754845e9
[2] http://www.xenproject.org/security-policy.html

--
Major Hayden