Re: [Xen-devel] Windows 2008 R2 virtual machines blue screen on xen4.1.2

>>> On 22.05.15 at 09:08, <xuzhichuang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recently, we encountered the problem that Windows 2008 R2 virtual machines
> blue screen when running on xen4.1.2, Mircrosoft engineer said it's a known
> issue with Intel Xeon processors:
> . Intel Xeon Processor E5 v2 Product Family: CA135 May 2014 -"Incorrect Page
> Translation when EPT is enabled"
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-upd
> ates/xeon-e5-v2-spec-update.pdf
>
> And this issue has been fixed on Hyper-v and VMware:
>
> Hyper-V:
> Host Microcode update for Intel processors to improve the reliability of
> Windows Server
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970215
>
> VMware:
> Windows 2008 R2, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Solaris 10 64-bit virtual
> machines blue screen or kernel panic when running on ESXi 5.x with an Intel
> E5/E7/E3 v2 series processor (2073791)
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=disp
> layKC&externalId=2073791
>

> Anybody know whether this issue has been fixed on the lastest xen or not? If
> so, could you please send me the patch, thanks!

So both Microsoft and VMware agree about this needing a micrcode
update, and Xen doesn't include any CPU microcode. How come you
ask for a Xen patch in this context? Providing CPU microcode updates
are first of all a BIOS vendor responsibility, with distro-s often trying
to cover for BIOS vendors to fail to do their job (in time).

Jan