Re: [Xen-devel] Xen/arm: Virtual ITS command queue handling

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Good point.
>> >
>> > A soft irq might be one solution, but it is problematic during emulation
>> > of `CREADR`, when we would like to do a pass immediately to complete any
>> > operations outstanding for the domain doing the read.
>> >
>> > Or just using spin_try_lock and not bothering if one is already in
>> > progress might be another. But has similar problems.
>> >
>> > Or we could defer only scheduling from `INT` (either guest or Xen's own)
>> > to a softirq but do ones from `CREADR` emulation synchronously? The
>> > softirq would be run on return from the interrupt handler but multiple
>> > such would be coalesced I think?
>>
>> I think we could defer the scheduling to a softirq for CREADR too, if
>> the guest is using:
>>       - INT completion: vits.creadr would have been correctly update when
>> receiving the INT in xen.
>>       - polling completion: the guest will loop on CREADR. It will likely get
>> the info on the next read. The drawback is the guest may loose few
>> instructions cycle.
>>
>> Overall, I don't think it's necessary to have an accurate CREADR.
>
> Yes, deferring the update by one exit+enter might be tolerable. I added
> after this list:
>         This may result in lots of contention on the scheduler
>         locking. Therefore we consider that in each case all which happens is
>         triggering of a softirq which will be processed on return to guest,
>         and just once even for multiple events. The is considered OK for the
>         `CREADR` case because at worst the value read will be one cycle out of
>         date.
>

>> [..]

>> > That's how it is currently written, yes. With the "possible
>> > simplification" above the answer is no, only a batch at a time would be
>> > written for each guest.
>> >
>> > BTW, it doesn't have to be a single guest, the sum total of the
>> > injections across all guests could also take a similar amount of time.
>> > Is that a concern?
>>
>> Yes, the example with only a guest was easier to explain.
>
> So as well as limiting the number of commands in each domains batch we
> also want to limit the total number of batches?

>> > This is the "possible simplification" I think. Since it simplifies other
>> > things (I think) as well as addressing this issue I think it might be a
>> > good idea.
>>
>> With the limitation of command send per batch, would the fairness you
>> were talking on the design doc still required?
>
> I think we still want to schedule the guest's in a strict round robin
> manner, to avoid one guest monopolising things.

>> > I'm not sure. I don't think 1 vs N is very different from the question
>> > of 0 vs 1 though, somehow the tools need to know about the pITS setup.
>>
>> I don't see why the tools would require to know the pITS setup.
>
> Even with only a single vits the tools need to know if the system has 0,
> 1, or more pits, to know whether to vreate a vits at all or not.

>> > Device Tree or IORT, just like on native and just like we'd have to tell
> [...]

Handling of Single vITS and multipl pITS can be made simple.

All ITS commands except SYNC & INVALL has device id which will
help us to know to which pITS it should be sent.

SYNC & INVALL can be dropped by Xen on Guest request
 and let Xen append where ever SYNC & INVALL is required.
(Ex; Linux driver adds SYNC for required commands).
With this assumption, all ITS commands are mapped to pITS
and no need of synchronization across pITS