[Xen-devel] [XenRT] Cache-Aware Real-Time Xen: Partition shared cache for guest domains in Xen via page coloring

Hi Dario and George,

I'm working on considering the shared-cache interference effect into
the schedulers (both in VMM and in VM) to improve the schedulability
of the whole system. To be specific, I'm doing the following things:
(1) Investigating the shared-cache interference on the real-time
performance (such as worst-case execution time) of applications in VMs
 that shared the last level cache (LLC) on Xen;
(2) Eliminate such shared-cache interference by statically
partitioning shared cache to VMs via page-coloring mechanism and\
evaluate the effectiveness of this mechanism;
(3) Better utilize the shared cache by dynamically
increasing/decreasing/changing the cache partitions of a VM online;
(4) Incorporating the cache effect with the scheduling algorithm of
VMM to improve the schedulability of whole system.

Right now, I almost finish the first two steps and have some
preliminary results of the real-time performance of Xen with static
cache partition mechanism. I made a quick slide to summarize the
current work and the future plan.
The slide can be found at:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mengxu/cart-xen/2015-05-01-CARTXen-WiP.pdf

My question is:
Do you have any comment or concerns on the current software-based
cache management work?
I  hope to listen to your opinions and  incorporate your opinions on
my ongoing work instead of diverting too
far away from Xen mainstream ideas. :-)

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Meng