Re: [Xen-devel] (release) versioning

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:55:56 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 May 2015 16:11:46 +0000

On 06/05/2015 16:44, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Regarding 5.3.0.1 -- now once again you have a 4th digit where
>> non-zero means "release"; and do we need RCs for this?  Do we have
>> 5.3.0.0.1-rc, and then 5,3,0.1 which is stable?
>
>No, in such cases I don't expect any RCs, just another release
>(just like was done for 4.1.6.1).

Couldn't we just go for something like -a, -b, -c instead if we make a
mistake
Or push up the 2nd number straight away, from say 5.0 to 5.1

I would also say that for public release numbering (aka published final
releases, we drop everything after major.minor

>> So how do we officially decide on this?  Do we wait for 2 weeks on
>> this thread for objections, then do a formal proposal?
>
>Yeah, that's what's intended I think. Lars?

I would summarise the outcome of the thread and ask the committers to
formally vote on it

Regards
Lars