Re: [Xen-devel] (release) versioning

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am OK with the mechanism as is and not sure why it would need
> changing. I know you are saying that the existing mechanism
> does not convery much information but I think the 'rcX'appended
> to the version tag is enough to tell us when there is an RC and
> when there is a new release.

I think part of the thing I don't like about the current scheme is
that bumping a major version number may communicate "something REALLY
BIG has changed", when nothing really big has changed.

Which leaves us either not changing the major number ever (and getting
Xen 4.87 or things like that) or changing it based on some arbitrary
threshold, like "20 seems like a big number, so we'll have Linux 4.0
rather than Linux 3.20".

I could be convinced that we should bump the major version every 5
years or something.  As it happens, Xen 3.0 was released in 2005, and
Xen 4.0 was released in 2010; so maybe making our upcoming release
version Xen 5.0, and having the first release in 2020 be Xen 6.0?

That doesn't give us the nice sort-ability that Jan's proposal does,
but at least "5-year epoch" is roughly useful and not completely
arbitrary.

 -George