Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)

Hi Wei,

Thanks for your reply.

On 5/4/2015 5:44 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
(Thanks for trimming the CC list before hand)

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 02:05:49PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
Hi Wei,

Hello.

   This is Zhang Yu from Intel graphic virtualization team. Previously in Xen
hackathon, Paul and I mentioned that there're several patch series for XenGT
that need to be tracked on Xen 4.6.
   Here, I'd like to confirm with you about these patchsets:
   1> 16-byte MMIO emulation fix â owned by Paul;

Could you explain a bit why this is needed? AIUI it's just a latent
bug that discovered by this particular usecase, right? In other words,
not really a regression introduced by ioreq server.
OK. Then we will fix this, but not necessary to track this bug. IIRC, this is not a regression. Am I right, Paul? :-)

   2> Ioreq server refactor â owned by Yu;
   3> The PV IOMMU â owned by Malcolm; This one may not be completed in Xen
4.6, but a basic feature(to return a BFN which equals the MFN when IOMMU is
1:1 mapped or is disabled), might be necessary in this release.
   So could we also add separate tracks for these patches(I noticed the 3rd
is already mentioned in your mail)?  :-)

I tend to track only big feature items. Non-blocking bugs and small
refactoring are not  tracked.
Well, by "big feature", I'm not sure if this ioreq server refactor issue qualifies this definition. :-) But this is part of the functionalities that support the Intel GVT-g solution, which is a big feature from the overall POV. However, if we track the Intel GVT-g feature as a whole new feature, the patch series would seem too scattered. Sorry for being unfamiliar with the Xen development schedules, but is there any approach we can track ioreq server refactor patches(my mission is to upstream this in Xen 4.6)? :-)

The first one needs to be actively tracked if it's a regression.  I
already track the third one since it's a big feature.

Wei.

Thanks
Yu