From: Koushik Chakravarty
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:44 PM
To: Ian Jackson
Cc: Euan Harris; 'xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: tools/libxl - Async Task Cancellation Query

Thanks Ian for the answers. I have a follow - up on the below:

"Can I suggest adding a unique private 'id' field to the libxl_asyncop_how
structure, that will be populated by AO_CREATE? This will help finding the
matching corresponding libxl_ao from the ctx->aos_inprogress in
libxl_ao_cancel() quicker by looking for search->id == libxl_asyncop_how->id.

That would require the caller to preserve the ao_how which seems awkward to me.
 Also, allocating these ids presents some difficulties.
I think it is better to allow the caller to identify aos."

When you say - " That would require the caller to preserve the ao_how which
seems awkward to me " - whom do you refer as the caller?
From what I picked up, the libxl_ao_cancel() API is passed with the ao_how. The
libxl_ao_cancel then looks into the ctx->aos_inprogress list to find the ao
that matches the ao_how.
So what I was suggesting was that if the ao_how was allotted an 'id' from the
original libxl api call (done using a counter increment from the global libxl
ctx with a lock held), and the same id was saved in the ao entry in
ctx->aos_inprogress, then searching/matching them in libxl_ao_cancel() would
have been a little faster. Of course, the assumption here is that the caller
keeps the ao_how struct and uses that to call libxl_ao_cancel() - but I see
that is already the case.

Let me know if I am not being very clear.

Regards,
Koushik Chakravarty
Mobile - +91-9663396424