Re: [Xen-devel] (v2) VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) design for XEN

Thanks for the comments!

Here is what Xen currently does for external interrupts from assigned devices:

When a VM is running and an external interrupts from an assigned devices occurs
for it. VM-EXIT happens, then:

vmx_do_extint() --> do_IRQ() --> __do_IRQ_guest() --> hvm_do_IRQ_dpci() -->
raise_softirq_for(pirq_dpci) --> raise_softirq(HVM_DPCI_SOFTIRQ)

softirq HVM_DPCI_SOFTIRQ is bound to dpci_softirq()

dpci_softirq() --> hvm_dirq_assist() --> vmsi_deliver_pirq() --> vmsi_deliver()
-->
vmsi_inj_irq() --> vlapic_set_irq()

vlapic_set_irq() does the following things:
1. If CPU-side posted-interrupt is supported (I think it is supported from Xen
4.3, or Xen 4.4,
sorry, not quite remember the exact version), call vmx_deliver_posted_intr() to
deliver
the virtual interrupt via posted-interrupt infrastructure.
2. Else If CPU-side posted-interrupt is not supported, set the related vIRR in
vLAPIC
page and call vcpu_kick() to kick the related vCPU. Before VM-Entry,
vmx_intr_assist()
will help to inject the interrupt to guests.

However, after VT-d PI is supported, when a guest is running in non-root and an
external interrupt from an assigned device occurs for it. _no_ VM-Exit is
needed,
the guest can handle this totally in non-root mode, thus avoiding all the above
code flow.

> Hm, actually we seem to be still invoking the hypervisor on the
> interrupts  -except that if we need to dispatch it to another CPU
> using an normal vector to do so - which would still cause the
> hypervisor to be invoked? Or does it actually go straight in the
> guest?

Like what I mentioned above, If the guest is running, we don't need invoke
hypervisor.

> So what kind of support do we currently have in Xen from posted
> interrupt? Could you add a bit about this in the background please?

Good suggestion.

Currently, Xen only supports the CPU-side posted-interrupt. Like what I
mentioned above,
function vlapic_set_irq() can use this to deliver virtual interrupts, basically
there are several
methods to deliver virtual interrupts to guests:
- Event delivery before VM-Entry via __vmx_inject_exception(), this is the
oldest way.
- After APICv was enabled, we had hardware support for virtual interrupt
delivery, virtual
interrupts are stored in virtual LAPIC page, after VM-Entry, guests can
evaluate these
virtual interrupt and handle them in non-root mode.
- As an enhancement to APICv, CPU-side posted-interrupt was introduced, like
above comments,
with this new feature, we don't need to kick the vCPU and deliver the virtual
interrupts
direct to it.

About APICv and CPU-side Posted-interrupt, please refer to Chapter 29, and
Section 29.6 in the Intel SDM:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf

> [...]
> > struct iremap_entry {
> >   union {
> >     u64 lo_val;
> >     struct {
> >         u64 p       : 1,
> >             fpd     : 1,
> >             dm      : 1,
> >             rh      : 1,
> >             tm      : 1,
> >             dlm     : 3,
> >             avail   : 4,
> >             res_1   : 4,
> >             vector  : 8,
> >             res_2   : 8,
> >             dst     : 32;
> >     }lo;
> >     struct {
> >         u64 p       : 1,
> >             fpd     : 1,
> >             res_1   : 6,
> >             avail   : 4,
> >             res_2   : 2,
> >             urg     : 1,
> >             im      : 1,
> >             vector  : 8,
> >             res_3   : 14,
> >             pda_l   : 26;
> >     }lo_intpost;
> >   };
> >   union {
> >     u64 hi_val;
> >     struct {
> >         u64 sid     : 16,
> >             sq      : 2,
> >             svt     : 2,
> >             res_1   : 44;
> >     }hi;
> >     struct {
> >         u64 sid     : 16,
> >             sq      : 2,
> >             svt     : 2,
> >             res_1   : 12,
> >             pda_h   : 32;
> >     }hi_intpost;
> >   };
> > };
> >
> > - Introduce a new global vector which is used to wake up the blocked vCPU.
> >
> > Currently, there is a global vector 'posted_intr_vector', which is used as
> > the
>
> s/Currently/In Xen 4.6 and earlier/
> > global notification vector for all vCPUs in the system. This vector is
> > stored in
> > VMCS and CPU considers it as a _special_ vector, uses it to notify the
> > related
> > pCPU when an interrupt is recorded in the posted-interrupt descriptor.
> >
> > This existing global vector is a _special_ vector to CPU, CPU handle it in a
> > _special_ way compared to normal vectors, please refer to 29.6 in Intel SDM
> >
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/6
> 4-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf
> > for more information about how CPU handles it.
> >
> > After having VT-d PI, VT-d engine can issue notification event when the
> > assigned devices issue interrupts. We need add a new global vector to
> > wakeup the blocked vCPU, please refer to later section in this design for
> > how to use this new global vector.
>
> Ah, so this is what Xen has right now - and the changes that this design
> outlines are here  deal with an blocked guests.

No, this is what I add for enabling VT-d PI. We discussed a lot about this
new global vector and its usage scenario after posting version 1 of this
design. Do you have any question about this?

> [...]
> >         - Set 'NV' to ' pi_wakeup_vector ', so we can wake up the
> >           related vCPU when posted-interrupt happens for it.
> >           Please refer to the above section about the new global vector.
> >         - Clear 'SN' to accept posted-interrupts
> > 3. When vCPU's state is RUNSTATE_runnable/RUNSTATE_offline,
> >         - Set 'SN' to suppress non-urgent interrupts
> >           (Current, we only support non-urgent interrupts)
> >          When vCPU is in RUNSTATE_runnable or RUNSTATE_offline,
> >          It is not needed to accept posted-interrupt notification event,
> >          since we don't change the behavior of scheduler when the
> interrupt
> >          occurs, we still need wait the next scheduling of the vCPU.
>
> still need to wait for the next..
> >          When external interrupts from assigned devices occur, the
> interrupts
> >          are recorded in PIR, and will be synced to IRR before VM-Entry.
> >         - Set 'NV' to 'posted_intr_vector'.
> >
> > - How to wakeup blocked vCPU when an interrupt is posted for it (wakeup
> notification handler).
> >
> > Here is the scenario for the usage of the new global vector:
> >
> > 1. vCPU0 is running on pCPU0
> > 2. vCPU0 is blocked and vCPU1 is currently running on pCPU0
> > 3. An external interrupt from an assigned device occurs for vCPU0, if we
> > still use 'posted_intr_vector' as the notification vector for vCPU0, the
> > notification event for vCPU0 (the event will go to pCPU1) will be consumed
> > by vCPU1 incorrectly (remember this is a special vector to CPU). The worst
> > case is that vCPU0 will never be woken up again since the wakeup event
> > for it is always consumed by other vCPUs incorrectly. So we need introduce
> > another global vector, naming 'pi_wakeup_vector' to wake up the blocked
> vCPU.
> >
> > After using 'pi_wakeup_vector' for vCPU0, VT-d engine will issue
> > notification
> > event using this new vector. Since this new vector is not a SPECIAL one to
> CPU,
> > it is just a normal vector. To cpu, it just receives an normal external
> > interrupt,
> > then we can get control in the handler of this new vector. In this case,
> hypervisor
> > can do something in it, such as wakeup the blocked vCPU.
> >
> > Here are what we do for the blocked vCPU:
> > 1. Define a per-cpu list 'blocked_vcpu_on_cpu', which stored the blocked
> > vCPU on the pCPU.
> > 2. When the vCPU's state is changed to RUNSTATE_blocked, insert the vCPU
> > to the per-cpu list belonging to the pCPU it was running.
> > 3. When the vCPU is unblocked, remove the vCPU from the related pCPU list.
> >
> > In the handler of 'pi_wakeup_vector', we do:
> > 1. Get the physical CPU.
> > 2. Iterate the list 'blocked_vcpu_on_cpu' of the current pCPU, if 'ON' is
> > set,
> > we unblock the associated vCPU.
> >
> > - New boot command line for Xen, which controls VT-d PI feature by user.
> >
> > Like 'intremap' for interrupt remapping, we add a new boot command line

'intpost' is a Xen command line parameter, while 'iommu_intpost' is a variable
In the Code, just like 'intremap' and 'iommu_intremap'.

Thanks,
Feng