Re: [Xen-devel] Python Bindings Status

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 11:02 +0000, James Dingwall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use the libxl python bindings but having mixed levels of
> success.  I assume that the current
> status of this is unsupported as the build of the xl.so is disabled by
> default but perhaps completing the
> missing parts could be quite trivial?

IMHO they are architecturally broken and should be redone from scratch.

In particular the "live update of the backing C struct" aspect is broken
in various respects IIRC and difficult to fix (the original author is
also long gone).

I expect this brokenness relates to why things appear to return 0 for
you.

IMHO a much more sensible approach would be to follow what the ocaml
bindings do and do on demand translation between Python<->C as you call
the libxl functions.

> What level of experience/effort would be required to address this?

Not much Xen experience, mostly Python bindings experience (the
generator itself is in Python too as it happens).

I think it would be a fair effort though.