Re: [Xen-devel] VM Migration on ARM

On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 11:04 +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/03/2015 10:51, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > On 11/03/15 05:32, Vijay Kilari wrote:
> >> Hi Andrew,
> >>
> >>      From Ian & Stefano, I came to know that you have introduced
> >> Migration framework v2
> >> under below patch series
> >>
> >> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=141036915311145
> >>
> >> I have few queries:
> >>
> >> 1) Is there any plans/timeline to support for ARM32/ARM64?.
> >
> > I will not personally be doing any ARM migration support, not even as
> > part of getting migration v2 accepted upstream.

Just to be clear, I don't expect you to do anything of the sort either,
other than keeping ARM as is compiling of course.

> FWIW, there is a patch series on the ML for supporting migration v1 [1].
> But the author doesn't work on it anymore, so AFAIK nobody touched it
> since this version.

Right.

Some parts of that series could still be a useful starting point, and
for the rest I expect that the (re)implementation on top of Andrew's
work should be almost trivial.

IMO it ought to be reasonably easy to get save/restore and
dead-migration working based on the combination of those two series, and
I think this should be done first before move on to looking at all the
log-dirty stuff and p2m frobbing which is needed to perform a live
migration, which is going to be far more time consuming to get right.