Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU e820 Reservation (FW_CFG_E820_TABLE and fw_cfg etc/e820)

Stefano,

Many thanks for responding to this. Resplies inline below.

On 2015-03-04 10:11, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Hi,

I've been looking into custom e820 maps for domUs again, and
found that functionality to provide QEMU with hints regarding
e820 mapping has been upstream since some time in
2010 (FW_CFG_E820_TABLE) with more finely grained control
(usable rather than just reserved entries) upstream since
2013 (fw_cfg etc/e820).

The respective patches are here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-02/msg00996.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-11/msg00593.html

What I have not been able to find is any documentation at
all on how this e820 data can be given to QEMU when starting
a domain. I can see from the structs in the patches how the
data is packed for the relevant code to consume, but I cannot
figure out what is the delivery vector for this data. How
can I get QEMU to ingest the hints about any additional
reserved e820 blocks?

For context, I need this to work around IOMMU implementation
bugs and mark areas of address space as reserved so that
the guest doesn't trample over the host's PCI I/O ranges
(which IOMMU should intercept, but being buggy, it doesn't).

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Gordan,

FW_CFG_E820_TABLE is a special interface between SeaBios and QEMU but is
not used on Xen. I guess it could be made to work on Xen, but I am
pretty sure it doesn't at the moment.

So this cannot be used to side-load an additional list of
e820 reserved memory blocks at domU startup time?

I think you would probably want to look at hvmloader instead:
tools/firmware/hvmloader/e820.c.

Yes, this is what I was looking at last time. I was just
hoping that either of the above mentioned patches could
be used to adjust the e820 map in a "soft" way rather
hard-coding any changes into hvmloader/e820.c The latter
is what I did last time, but it is extremely ugly and
non-generic.

And given the two interfaces I mentioned above it seems
really wrong to be implementing a whole new method for
manually loading an explicit e820 map. Is that not what
the etc/e820 interface is already supposed to do?

Gordan