Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU 2.2.0 in Xen 4.6

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Eric Shelton wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2015 10:10 AM, "Stefano Stabellini"
>> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Indeed
>> >

>> Thank you both.
>>
>> There is one other thing that would be helpful to understand.  Anthony had
>> to patch the Linux kernel running in the stubdom to
>> allow memory mapping.  What mappings are needed between dom0 and the stub
>> domain, and between the stub domain and the HVM guest
>> domain?  I am guessing this comes into play for the display, as it seems
>> that the dom0 qemu instance is running the VNC server.
>
> I don't remember the details of it anymore. CC'ing Anthony that might
> have a better idea.

Actually, it looks like what I need to understand is how the startup
of (1) QEMU in Dom0, (2) QEMU in stubdom, and (3) the HVM domain are
synchronized (or supposed to be synchronized).  I assume the desired
order is (2) -> (1) -> (3).  It looks like
/local/domain/0/device-model/{hvm-domid}/state is used to notify xl
that QEMU in Dom0 is running, which prompts xl to unpause the HVM
domain, making sure that (1) occurs before (3).  The problem I am
running into is that, at least with QEMU 2.0, nothing ensures that
QEMU in stubdom is up and running before unpausing the HVM domain.
This causes hvmloader to fail, as (3) occurs before (2), and there is
no device model in place yet.

So, what mechanism is being used with qemu-traditional to ensure QEMU
in stubdom is running before the HVM domain is unpaused?

Thanks,
Eric