[Xen-devel] Cancelling asynchronous operations in libxl

Hi,

Firstly, sorry for the extreme lateness of this reply!

Iâve re-read the thread from Nov 2013: (2013!)

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-11/msg01176.html

and found it quite thought-provoking.

From the Xapi/Xenopsd point of view, the main feature that weâd like is to be
able to âunstickâ the system when it appears stuck. When the user gets bored
and hits the big red âcancelâ button weâd like the particular
operation/thread/call to unblock (in a timely fashion, itâs probably ok if this
takes 30s?) and for the system to be left in some kind of manageable state. I
think itâs ok for Xapi/Xenopsd to destroy any half-built VMs via fresh libxl
calls afterwards, so libxl doesnât need to tidy everything itself automatically.

I think cancellation could be quite hard to test. One thing we could do is add
a counter and increment it every time we pass a point where cancellation is
possible. In some libxl debug mode we could configure it to simulate a
cancellation event when the counter reaches a specific value. A test harness
could then try to walk through all the different cancellation possibilities and
check the system is in some sensible state afterwards.

We were thinking about running some number of libxl-based stateless worker
processes which would also allow us to kill them with various signals if we
really needed to. I guess in the event that libxl cancel didnât work for
whatever reason, we could fall back to this rather cruder approach (although
this should be only in extreme circumstances).

Anyway, sorry again for the lateness!

Cheers,
Dave