Re: [Xen-devel] about the funtion call memory_type_changed()

On 16/01/15 11:54, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 16/01/15 10:29, Li, Liang Z wrote:
>>> I found the restore process of the live migration is quit long, so I try to
>> find out what's going on.
>>> By debugging, I found the most time consuming process is restore the VM's
>> MTRR MSR,
>>> The process is done in the function hvm_load_mtrr_msr(), it will call the
>>> memory_type_changed(), which eventually call the time consuming function
>>> flush_all().
>>>
>>> All this is caused by adding the memory_type_changed in your patch, here is
>> the link
>>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-03/msg03792.html,
>>>
>>> I am not sure if it's necessary to call flush_all, even it's necessary,
>> call the function
>>>  hvm_load_mtrr_msr one time will cause dozens call of flush_all, and each
>> call of the
>>>  flush_all function will consume about 8 milliseconds, in my test
>> environment, the VM
>>>  has 4 VCPUs, the hvm_load_mtrr_msr() will be called four times, and
>>> totally
>> consumes
>>>  about 500 milliseconds. Obviously, there are too many flush_all calls.
>>>
>>>  I think something should be done to solve this issue, do you think so?
>> The flush_all() cant be avoided completely, as it is permitted to use
>> sethvmcontext on an already-running VM.  In this case, the flush
>> certainly does need to happen if altering the MTRRs has had a real
>> effect on dirty cache lines.
> Plus the actual functions calling memory_type_changed() in mtrr.c
> can also be called while the VM is already running.
>
>> However, having a batching mechanism across hvm_load_mtrr_msr() with a
>> single flush at the end seems like a wise move.
> And that shouldn't be very difficult to achieve. Furthermore perhaps
> it would be possible to check whether the VM did run at all already,
> and if it didn't we could avoid the flush altogether in the context load
> case?

I am not sure whether we currently have that information available.
Guests are currently created with a single ref in the systemcontroller
pause count, and require an unpause hypercall to get going.

That said, the overwhelmingly common case is that the only hvmsetcontext
hypercall made on a domain will be during construction, so there are
probably many improvements to be had by knowing there is no dirty state
to flush.

~Andrew